Dr Franz is a child and adolescent psychiatrist and an assistant professor of Psychiatry and Global Health at Duke University. As a global mental health clinical researcher, Dr Franz focuses on improving access to evidence-based treatment for neurodevelopmental disorders, including autism spectrum disorders in sub-Saharan Africa and other low resource settings. She is the recipient of an early career development award from the National Institutes of Mental Health to adapt and implement the parent- Early Start Denver Model intervention for children with autism and their families in South Africa. Dr Franz is a certified Early Start Denver Model therapist and parent coach.
1. Franz L, Chambers N, von Isenburg M, de Vries PJ. (in press). Autism Spectrum Disorder in Sub-Saharan Africa: a Comprehensive Scoping Review. Autism Research.
2. Dawson G, Sun JM, Davlantis KS, Murias M, Franz L, Troy J, Simmons R, Sabatos-DeVito M, Durham R, Kurtzberg J. (in press). Autologous cord blood infusions are safe and feasible in young children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Results of a single center Phase I Open Label Trial. Stem Cell Translational Medicine.
3. Maselko J, Sikander S, Bangash O, Bhalotra S, Franz L, Ganga N, Rajan DG, O’Donnell K, Rahman A. Child mental health and maternal depression history in Pakistan. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiology, Published online November 11, 2015.
4. Maselko J, Sikander S, Bhalotra S, Bangash O, Ganga N, Mukherjee S, Egger H, Franz L, Bibi A, Liaqat R, nKanwal M, Abbasi T, Noor M, Ameen N, Rahman A. Impact of an early perinatal depression intervention on longer-term child development outcomes. Lancet Psychiatry, Published online June 3, 2015.
5. Zucker N, Copeland W, Franz L, Carpenter K, Keeling L, Angold A, Egger H. Psychological and Psychosocial Impairment in Preschoolers with Selective Eating. Pediatrics. Published online August 3, 2015.
6. . Towe-Goodman N, Franz L, Copeland W, Angold A, Egger HL. The family impact of preschool anxiety disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2014; 53 (4): 437-446. PMCID:nPMC3971645
7. Franz L, Costello EJ, Copeland W, Towe-Goodman N, Angold A, Egger HL. Preschool anxiety disorders in pediatric primary care: prevalence and comorbidity. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2013; 52 (12): 1294-1303. PMID: 24290462
8. Franz L, Carter T, Leiner AS, Bergner E, Thompson NJ, Compton MT. Stigma and treatment delay in first-episode psychosis: a grounded theory study. Early intervention in psychiatry. Feb 2010;4(1):47-56.